Further Light and Knowledge

FLAK Statistics, a graph of posts per day.
NEW! Archive of The View from the Foyer.
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:47 pm 
Election Made Sure

This just in:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/201 ... anddaniels

Mitts team is out there On The Ball, preparing a pathway for 'Mr Plastic Mormon'...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right- ... _unco.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket ... -skeletons

3/16: http://bltwy.msnbc.msn.com/politics/mar ... 61.gallery

Yes, the Silly Season is already here...
(would Americans Really vote for someone named 'Mitt'?)

Last edited by OSWIT on Sun May 15, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: M Romney Rising...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 pm 
Election Made Sure

AW yes, I love The Post. Let's don't forget MS. Palin, and her "Leave us alone" slogan. And her, "There's no problems with health care." I really wish they'd nominate her.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:01 am 
Election Made Sure

I read an article comparing Mitt and Huntsman. What struck me is that Huntsman has tried to create ambiguity regarding his affiliation with the church. My sources in the beehive state power culture tell me he is still very much in the church.

I hate mormonism, but I will say this for Mitt, by sticking to the church through this he has earned my respect. He could have gone the Jon Jr., route and tried to hide his beliefs, but did not. I think Mitt actually showed some cojones. I realize this may be the only thing that he has held to, but I am still impressed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:36 pm 
Election Made Sure

(Update) is Huckabee taking an early lead <as if that could me measured>?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 am 
Election Made Sure

Quote:
Republicans, at the end of February, have no officially declared candidates (other than businessman Herman Cain).

Herman Cain is a local - he recently spoke to a group of high school students where my daughter was in attendance. Herman comes from a dirt-poor upbringing but he made it big - legally, ethically. He doesn't have the "polish" one would expect for a presidential candidate but many of his ideas are great even though he sounds . . . not much like one would expect a contemporary politician to sound.

I doubt he'll make any significant contribution to the GOP's race in 2011, just another one of the blips that didn't get noticed. Maybe that's a good thing.

http://www.hermancain.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:52 pm 
Election Made Sure

accrdng to News Stories, MR DIDN'T SHOW at 'Iowa Faith & Freedom' gathering.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/35170.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right- ... a_are.html

LOTS of these red-letter events Don't Accept Surrogates;
either the candidate shows up-gives them Respect/the Time of Day, or they Don't (can't be "Represented" by a stand-in)

What was MR doing at the date/time?
Why did he Skip? (because they weren't "His Audience"?)

If he passes up the Christian Right... They'll Pass Him Up!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:41 pm 
Election Made Sure

and, Still More:

http://bltwy.msnbc.msn.com/politics/mar ... 61.gallery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm 
Election Made Sure

and now, Ladies & Germs...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2 ... csp=34news

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:25 pm 
Election Made Sure

Well, if Mitt could be a functioning governor in the same state that always re-elected Ted Kennedy, there must be something there. Not for me. Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, The Washington Post is enough to make me wet myself. I know. Let's put Mitt up against Sarah Palin and see who can speak English. Any takers? I'm just "doin" my thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:35 pm 
Election Made Sure

M.R. vs. B.O? That will be closer than McCain/Palin, won't it?

my election comment:

IF B.O. pulls off something good <doesn't Step In It> U.S. / mid-east, doesn't trip-fall on anything else:
Tough to Beat in '12.

The Rs will knock themselves SILLY trying to repeal health care changes when 'everyone' knows that won't fly.
National elections are decided Mostly by a) Independents b) Demo turnout at the polls.
Few 'swing states' anymore, and: Obama's 08 campaign effort was nearly flawless.
Obama, for the most part, Looks presidential, Sounds presidential, even if U don't 100% Agree.

Last edited by OSWIT on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm 
Election Made Sure

Not American, but is this the type of election in which a third candidate like Ross Perot or James Anderson could make an impact?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 pm 
Election Made Sure

you 'Gotta remember':

U.S. presidential elections are actually determined by the 'Electoral College', a second-tier vote taken state-by-state.
The number of Electoral Votes each state has is its number of Representatives in Congress; that, in turn, was previously determined by the last Census...

(side-note:) Utah, wanting to 'tip the margin' of the last census, wants to count the Utah-home missionaries as Utah residents/citizens, even if they don't reside in Utah at the time of the Census...
http://lds-law.org/2009/08/18/mormon-mi ... 10-census/

the goal of the candidates is to win electoral votes totaling about (memory)270.

the E.C. is a real anachronism, but efforts to eliminate it have all failed.

your Q: ONLY in Very Marginal states do third-party candidate make a difference.

some say that Ralph Nader skewed/lost an election for the Ds a while back because of ONE of the states (Florida ?) could have gone D but didn't.

So, the answer is a qualified 'Yes'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:43 am 
Election Made Sure

I'm probably going back too far in history for many, but surely anybody wanting to sabotage the Romney campaign could put up a spoiler "George Wallace" type candidate who is ultra right wing but has a chance of winning some states like Alabama where racism is as much a way of life as evangelical xianity Or maybe the tea party becomes more extreme to syphon off GOP votes?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:36 am 
Election Made Sure

Yeah, they'd vote for Mitt, but I'd rather they vote for Sarah. That way we have a better shot at it. And anyway, the fundamentalists would have a hey day over Mitt's "cult" affiliation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 am 
Election Made Sure

Aspie wrote:
I'm probably going back too far in history for many, but surely anybody wanting to sabotage the Romney campaign could put up a spoiler "George Wallace" type candidate who is ultra right wing but has a chance of winning some states like Alabama where racism is as much a way of life as evangelical xianity Or maybe the tea party becomes more extreme to syphon off GOP votes?

'All' these ppl think they have a legitimate campaign & possibility;

Ron Paul comes to mind, the current one prolly Sara Palin. She must be giving mainline Repubs a Nightmare...